About the fluorescent light bulbs

deb_paMarch 25, 2003

In April's Readers Digest: These bulbs cost between $5 and $10 but you can expect to save up to $16 per year for EACH bulb replaced. The older ones emitted a garish white light so look for the Color Rendition Index (on box, I'm guessing) to be over 80 for a more appealing full spectrum light effect. This seems like the way to go except my ceiling lights won't take the longer ones, they just won't fit in under the glass covering. Also some lamps have too short of shade to allow these bulbs to fit in either. Guess I'll have to measure these areas and carry the measurements with me before I buy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Momma_Bird_OH

I love the light these bulbs give off - no so yellow like regular light bulbs. I have them everywhere they will fit - lamps, in the basement fixtures, etc. About the only place they won't fit in my house is in ceiling fans and the kitchen ceiling fixture. Actually, they would fit in the ceiling fans but look too awful.

Bookmark   March 25, 2003 at 8:45PM
mid_tn_mama

I found Kmart to have the best prices on these regularly and have heard that if you can hit them on sale they are very economical.

Bookmark   March 25, 2003 at 10:09PM
pkguy

There are numerous sizes and shapes available now in compact flurescent bulbs, some are long and tube like, and some are spirals in two sizes. There are also some that have a covering over the tubes to be more like a regular lightbulb shape. You really have to shop around, but I've seen plenty of packs selling 4 for $15-20

Bookmark   March 28, 2003 at 1:49AM
ceilingfanrepair

My local hardware store has a sale on them every spring for $1 a piece. I buy several every year and stock up, and then give them away!

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 4:00PM
steve_o

Be aware that, like regular fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescents vary greatly in quality, light output, and light quality ("cool white," "warm white," "full-spectrum"). Of course, the more expensive ones typically offer the longest life and the best-quality light.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 4:21PM
cynic

I was apprehensive about using them in my ceiling fan but I got them cheap enough that it was worth a try. Plus I used the light so much that the savings should offset the cost of replacement. And I was replacing incandescents in it anyway so part of the cost is offset. Since replacing (however many years ago) I haven't had to replace one bulb. 52 watts now vs 240-300 watts before. The savings add up on this application. Yes they look different in the fixture, but I don't find the look objectionable at all. I think they look better than a boring regular bulb. Plus I don't look at them when they're on anyway.

I even put them in the enclosed fixtures. They run cooler than incandescents so I figure if the others were OK, these should be. Although most now are made for enclosed fixtures anyway.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 2:43PM
dadoes

I can't use CFs in my remote-control ceiling fans, they flicker horribly.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™