Does type of mineral oil matter on soapstone?

texaspennyApril 21, 2013

This is a silly question....but are there different types of mineral oil? Our soapstone was just installed and DH had an 8oz bottle of mineral oil he'd purchased from a kitchen store for $5.99. We'd been using it on cutting boards and wooden utensils. I've used that for the first application of mineral oil. However, we found a 16oz bottle in the health & beauty section of the grocery store for less than $2.00. It's for the 'relief of occasional constipation' and says it's 99% mineral oil with the other 1% being a stabilizer. Will this work? Is this the 'mineral oil' everyone mentions? The fabricator that installed the slabs rarely does soapstone and did not have any suggestions. Please confirm exactly what people are purchasing for mineral oil. I know I'll be going through a lot of it in the first few months. We may do the dry wax, but I need to test that out first. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

Yes, that's the same stuff! ...been using it successfully on my maple butcher blocks for 30 years, and on my soapstone, and mesquite bar tops as well. ...never had a need to try it for the relief of constipation though

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:00PM
texaspenny

Thank you so much. $2.00 for 16oz is much better than $6 for 8oz. Shame on over-priced kitchen stores!

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:06PM
williamsem

Reserve it for the counters, it isn't recommended for constipation anymore due to risk of aspiration.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Conestoga: Madison door with beaded inset?
Has anyone done or seen the Madison door on beaded...
akaypick
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™