Drywall Ceiling Repair

try2diyApril 5, 2011

A piece of ceiling drywall has started to separate in the garage. Upon closer inspection there are 2 problems. First it looks like nails were used to hang ceiling, some have popped out, others loosening. The other problem is the edge that has actually separated and is hanging down (a couple of inches gap) doesn't really even hit the joist - I don't know how or if any of the nails even hit the joist in the first place. The adjacent piece of drywall is almost flush with the edge where I should re-attach the sagging piece. I see others starting to sag in similar way

I plan to use screws next to all the existing nails/ nail holes on all sides and middle supports but there it will not be possible to put screws on that one edge unless I somehow angle them. The ceiling is just roughly finished so "looks" isn't a problem - I just want to get the ceiling re-fastened in the most secure way - any suggestions? (there is no moisture damage, etc. - it appears drywall is falling only because of how it was originally hung)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

If you have accessible attic space above, you can get up in there and install a backer to give you something to screw to. Other than that, you could cut the drywall back to the nearest joist and install a new section putting backers where needed after that section of drywall is removed. Angling screws isn't going to work.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

Yes, just go up in the attic and screw a 2x2 onto the side of the existing ceiling joist. Then screw the drywall to that.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™