Windows in steel entry doors

cscott09April 29, 2009

I have a steel entry door with three windows (two panels and a half round at the top). On the exterior side of the door, between the storm door and the steel door, the plastic framing around each window has cracked and shrunk. This framing holds the window in place. I cannot identify the door manufacture for the door. Where can I get replace frames for these windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No one can guess. Sorry

Plastic doesn't shrink. Are you sure it isn't the caulk that "cracked and shrunk"?

    Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Since you're not sure of the manufacturer, I'd either 1) take a picture to a home supply store so they know exactly what you're talking about or 2) look under "Doors" in the yellow pages and contact a retailer who sells similar products to ask them if they can get replacement parts.

We had to have a similar piece replaced due to leaking; however we knew the original manufacturer & they came out & replaced it under warranty.

    Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have a similar door and the installation instructions
specifically said NOT to use a storm door because of the
tremendous heat that builds up between the doors.
I used one anyway, but make sure to get the screen in
the door before the weather gets too warm.

    Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Even if you know the name of the door manufacturer there is no guarantee that they could identify the molding on your door because there are dozens of different shapes of that molding and often a manufacturer may change material in mid production run.

The best bet is to remove one section of the molding and take it to the store to have them match what you have. If they cannot match the original material they can usually provide a suitable replacement. The key here is to get enough to remove all the original and replace it with the new material to get a good match.

The likelihood of finding the molding in a home supply store or a hardware store is slim to none. Take your sample to a commercial glass & mirror supplier and ask them to match it for you. In most cases they can match it, but if not they will be able to offer a suitable substitute. In addition, generally they will take the time to walk you through the shop area and have one of their glazing experts demonstrate how to cut and install it.

Typically the moldings comes in a 6' strip so getting enough to replace the whole frame is not a problem.

    Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 11:13AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
Sponsored Products
Simms White Modern Shoe Cabinet
VerPan | Fun 10DM Pendant
Home and More Coir Rope Mat - 14001
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Levolor Vinyl Vertical Blinds: S-Curved Grass Weave
Andalusia Chaise Canopy, Patio Furniture
Sure-Loc Vintage Bronze Egg-shaped Entry Knob with Keyed Alike Deadbolt
Natural Woven Wood Drapes. Free Samples and Shipping!
Leaf Black 86-inch to 120-inch Double Curtain Rod
$59.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™