Installing vinyl soffit help

obrionusaApril 26, 2012

I installed a lot of aluminum soffit over the years. Now Im tackling the girlfriends house and thinking of using vinyl soffit. I installed a lot of vinyl siding before but never vinyl soffit. I always used vinyl cutting sissors to cut the vinyl and liked it versus a saw. I was thiniing it should cut the soffit too. I have a pair of malco andy mc14 sissors. Whats your thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

I've used tin snips, a specialized tool that resembled a paper cutter, and a circular saw with the blade installed backwards to cut vinyl siding and soffit.

The saw was the fastest.

Having never heard of those shears, I researched them. Might work. Since you already have them, trying them would just be set up.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:23AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If you've got a sliding compound miter saw set up anywhere, that's the best choice. It's an easier cut than with a circular saw and produces a true 90 every time. If you don't own one, it's probably not worth it to buy one just for that, but to me it's worth it for a lot of other projects down the road. It's one of the most often used tools at my house. Set it up on the scaffolding and you'll spend more time moving the scaffolding than you will cutting and installing the soffit.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 5:21PM
obrionusa

Thanks for all your help. But Im going to try to use these sissors because the girlfriend wouldnt be as nervous about using it. If I get her started maybe she would finish it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™