crack repair, CBS wall, above-grade: epoxy or fiber-caulk?

fixizinApril 2, 2009

Got a classic So-Fla "hurricane bunker", CBS on sandy soil... seems to have settled a wee bit over the decades, resulting in cracked walls. Cracks are long, but narrow, 1/8" or less.

Local outfit called Acrylux sells a whole line of WATERPROOFING caulks, primers, and paints, designed for stucco and the sub-tropics. Their "FIB" caulk is some tough stuff, high fiber content, and well-regarded by local contractors. Only problem is it's a "butter grade" caulk, i.e. comes in a TUB, not a tubE, so you have to putty knife it in the whole length of the crack... could get a bit tedious on a 25' long crack.

Another readily available option is an epoxy product called "PC Concrete", dispensed from a std. caulking gun, and mixed on the fly via a special nozzle w/ swirl chamber. Seems this would be easier to apply when filling LONG cracks, and the putty knife work would be just a length-wise swipe, instead of endless side-by-side strokes.

Some "experts" say epoxies are not flexible enough for this app, others say it is... hmmm... don't really need the strength of epoxy, just the longevity and water-tightness.

SO... what's your real-world experience with either/both/other-altogether crack repair methods in CBS (or poured concrete) walls?

Thanks in advance, the game is RIGged, the Fix... Izz... IN! ;')

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fixizin

My DIY sonar is on, but I hear nothing... lol.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 6:47PM
fixizin

Guess this would be a good excuse to buy a bulk-loading caulk gun... Albion brand??

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 4:31AM
fixizin

NOPE... no gun, turns out you BRUSH this "FIB" caulk on--NICE! I did 3 coats for each crack run, each "stripe" wider than the prior one. Feathered it out real nice.

Hope the follow-on elastomeric sealer/primer plus paint covers the "stripes"... hope it stops raining before October, LOL!

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Stranges lines in frost pattern on roof
I have these lines on the roof when there is a frost....
cswartzwelder
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™