siding, wrong nails, a question

chompskydNovember 14, 2012

Hi,

We recently had part of our house resided, and the contractors used ungalvanized nails. This, of course, is unacceptable -- they are already starting to rust.

The contractor is willing to pull down the siding (Hardiplank) and trim, pull out the nails, and rehang the same materials with the correct nails. They don't want to pay to replace all of the materials.

My gut tells me this is a bad idea...but I'm not sure why. Is this an acceptable solution or should we demand that all of the siding be replaced? What about holes in the housewrap underneath?

Thanks for you help. We want to be fair, but we also don't want the siding to look like a hack job, and needless to say, we are pretty unhappy with this contractor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

WE have a similar problem. Our problem is just on the soffits. Our contractor is suggesting scraping/sanding off the paint, applying Kilz and then repainting. I am also interested in hearing what others have to say.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:06PM
homebound

Sounds like a good solution since they won't renail the siding exactly where the existing holes are located. But IF they damage any boards while removing, they'll have to replace them. I'd go with this plan.

As for the trim,. I would just set the existing nails deeper and putty them, as well as renail with galvanized. But if they want to pull the trim down, too, I wouldn't argue with them.

(Full disclosure; I don't pretend to be an expert in siding.)

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:24PM
HandyMac

Sinking nails deeper in Hardi products is not possible since all that will happen is crushing and breaking the material. Been there replace those.

If they are successful in removing the nails---which is not easily done either---then they can alternate rows which allows the use of new nails in old holes into unnailed material.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:45AM
chompskyd

Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Kitchen cabinets
Can someone here give me the names of a few sites for...
Optimist999
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™