Possible roof leak?

agrandmaMarch 17, 2012

I'm a homeowner who has discovered water coming into my 2nd story bathroom window - from the top of the frame. This only happens during times of heavy rain. It's not coming through the exterior stucco wall, at least I don't see how it could. The roof eaves protect the top of that window from rain. The only thing I can imagine is there must be a leak in my roof. I went into my attic during daylight and didn't see any leaks or moisture. I crawled over to the tiny area above that window and didn't feel or see water. I have not inspected the roof from above yet. This water is dripping from the Sheetrock above the window so water is in the wall I think! Does anyone have advice for how I can try to detect the problem, or does anyone have an educated guess for where I might look?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Are there any roof valleys above this? Chimneys? Do you have a pic of the exterior where this is happening? It could be improper flashing from any of those or the window itself could be improperly flashed. Or it could be damaged shingles. Have you had any wind events or hail in your area?

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srjohnt

You may have a roof leak some distance from the wet spot. Water will frequently travel down a joist some distance from the entry point. Look for water stains on the underside of the joists above the window.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
SunStopper Sun Haven 12 x 8-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-12X8-MOTOR
Hayneedle
Premium Select Antique Brass 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Chocolate Solid Wood Blade
$536.00 | Bellacor
Blast Zone Magic Combo 15 Foot Commercial Combo Bounce House Multicolor - MAGIC
Hayneedle
Dhurries Navy and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$300.00 | Bellacor
Fillable Clear Glass Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Songbird Deluxe Bird House
Grandin Road
Alyssa Right Arm Outdoor Loveseat with Cushions
Grandin Road
52" Quorum Telstar Contemporary Ceiling Fan with Light Kit