icicles on gutter

Lexie76March 24, 2013

I live in a condo and we had our roofs replaced approx. 6 months ago due to a bad hail storm last summer. We had a blizzard yesterday (8 inches) of snow and even though the temp did not reach above freezing today, the sun melted quite a bit of snow (80%). Due to the direction of the wind, there is more snow on the ground than on the roofs. I heard water drops banging on the gutter outside of my unit and when I looked up I saw this. I walked around the community and did not notice this problem. I saw icicles (one or two) mostly around the corners of the gutters but not like this. There is also an ice sheet wrapped around my walls (3 ft high) and frozen icicles on the AC unit below. I do have a drainage issue outside and was worried about the downspout being too close to the foundation. The downspout is sealed with a frozen chunk of ice and the water is dropping down from the icicles. Is this worth pointing it out to my HOA or this normal? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

"Is this worth pointing it out to my HOA..."

Why not?

It's hard to judge without seeing more of the gutters but the downspout pipe visible around the corner looks small. Improving the gutter's drainage capacity might help fix what looks like a backup .

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:10PM
renovator8

Does this roof edge face north?

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 9:03PM
Lexie76

The roof edge faces west.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™