Craftsman Garage Opener makes a clicking noise but wont engage

mndallasMarch 16, 2009

I have a problem with my 1/2 horse Craftsman Garage Door Opener that I cannot figure out. My light was out, so I went to change the light bulb but noticed that it wasnt fully turned. I did that, but the light still wouldnt come on. I replaced the bulb and then clicked the opener to turn the light on, but instead IT SPARKED emitted a terrible black smoke and completely fried the light socked and end cap. (DONT WASTE YOUR TIME BY CALLING SEARS OR CRAFTSMAN TECHNICAL SUPPORT). I got all that taken care of with the breaker etc, and took off the end cap and what remained of the light socket. The Door opener doesnt seem to have any effects other then it wont engage. When I click on the opener, it just clicks - goes off - and clicks again. I am not sure if it is my capacitor or what could be the issue. Please HELP!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I think you will need to take off the end where all those white wires go and check the circuit board attached to it. Look for burnt or missing traces especially around the small transformer. Be sure to remember exactly where all those wires go.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 9:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

I think this opener is toast, literally and figuratively. The circuit boards are fried inside.
Get a new opener would be my advice.
Before you energize it, check out the electric going to the unit. You might have a problem with it.
Ron

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
music9704
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™