Installing Door Knocker in Fiberglass Door: Bad Idea?

leafy02March 21, 2010

I'd like to add a door knocker to my new front door, but it's a fiberglass door and the guy who installed it cautioned me about drilling into it and said I should have ordered it pre-drilled.

Looking around online, it seems like it can be done, but extra caution is needed to make sure the holes on the interior and exterior surfaces are level and that the surface doesn't shatter?

I definitely don't want to ruin my new door--how tricky is it to do a good job, or how likely is it that I'll ruin my door?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

pre-drilled would have been the way to go, but it's not an impossible thing to do. The key is to not try to just drill into it. You need a pilot hole to break through the surface and then carefully enlarge the hole to the size you need. The biggest concern is chipping the finish next to the hole. Depending on the style of knocker used, the knocker itself may provide some cover outboard of the attachment holes, and allow for some slop but still have a nice finished product at the end.

a quick google search for "driling a fiberglass door" led to the attached link which seems to provide a reasonable approach on how to do it.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: drilling a fiberglass door

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™