Upgraded the monitor, 36 year payoff by saving electricity!

jrdwyerFebruary 22, 2010

I put my 13 year old 15" computer monitor out to pasture when I saw a bigger LCD one for $90 on clearance. It works better and uses less electricity (20 watts versus 50 watts), but the payoff based on today's electric rates is about 36 years! Maybe if rates double, then the monitor will actually pay for itself before it dies.

I also put the 22 year old 13" analog color T.V (Samsung, Made in USA) out and went with a 19" digital LCD on sale. Energy use drops from 66 watts to 27 watts with the new T.V. and the picture is incredible with DTV over the air. Previously, we had just used the DTV converter box.

Goodwill has both units (they do work), so hopefully they will be recycled and someone will spend/save some real money by getting them for $5 or $10. I'm sure not saving any money by upgrading!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

I have two 19" and two 17" CRTs that I can't get anybody to take. It's distressing to toss them to the trash.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 6:31PM
mommabird

I have an old TV that even the trash won't take! I can't get anyone to take it as a donation. I have no idea what to do with it!

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 11:24PM
dilly_dally

Try listing it on Craigslist or Freecyle? Someone will want it.

Have you tried just putting it out at the curb with a *FREE* sign? I set out my TV on the curb with a sign and it was gone in no time.

A lot of people don't know about the *Free* Forum Craigslist has. Check CL for your city's listing and go to the *Free* section.

If it works, offer it to a nursing home. The nursing home in my neighborhood accepts TV's to put in patient rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist Free Forum Chicago

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 2:39AM
amandasgramma

nooo - put them on the street with sign for SALE....it'll be stolen!! If you put it out for free, no one will take it!

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 12:42AM
mustangs81

We have to take our old TV's, computer components, tires, and paint & chemicals to the county's solid waste collection stations. No curbside pickup service.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 5:44AM
erikat

I replaced my 19" Acer LCD with 22" LG LCD but I was using a 17" CRT previously. My monitor is usually up 10 hours a day. I wonder how much I am saving monthly from 17" CRT to 22" LCD.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 5:50AM
davidro1

This idea has merit. I learned something from this.
"put them on the street with sign for SALE.... it'll be stolen!! If you put it out for free, no one will take it!"

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 1:28PM
mikie_gw

Call goodwill or one of the charities .. they can sell working monitors for $5 and $10 and feed somebody needy a meal or help pay their rent or something.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™