Cheap massage!

alisandeFebruary 15, 2004

I love hour long, full-body massages, but can no longer afford the fat fees charged by licensed therapists. My chiropractor told me about a medical career school where massage therapy students offer massages for $10. A half-hour in the massage chair (where you remain fully dressed) is only $3.

I've had two massages, and enjoyed the experiences. The girls were professional and considerate, the room was warm, and the music was soothing. I've had expensive massages that weren't nearly as satisfying. Tips were encouraged, and I gave $5. (My chiropractor gives $10.) Afterwards I was asked to fill out a form evaluating the student, who must give 27 massages before graduation.

You might find such a school in your area.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artmom

My DS's friend was doing that( a guy). It was a bit uncomfortable but he is wonderful. At my age I rarely get embarassed anymore. It was free, it was at his parents home and they have a table. He has since graduated and now works where they charge $60 so my massage days are over. the school is not close enough to be convenient but I agree it's a great way to feel good cheap!

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 7:06AM
yellowhair

Never had a professional massage, but would love one... like... this morning.

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 10:58AM
joyfulguy

We used to give them back and forth - the non-professional kind - in Parents Without Partners group several years ago.

Great when one is uptight.

joyful

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 7:39AM
Wings2W

White grape seed oil or almond oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil are great. All are available at your local health food store. I use the coupons out of our telephone books to buy mine with a 50% off one item at the store. True essential oil is very concentrated. Not the WallyWorld kind.

You only need a quarter size amount per limb so it goes a long way.

Learned a lot in massage school :)

Wing

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 12:17PM
tandaina

Massage schools are good places to go definately! My sister just finished a program at the local school.

$15 an hour there, you must fill out health paperwork etc. They are not ALLOWED to accept tips and must complete 300 hours of practical experience for graduation. (Best dang massage school in teh country, run by the lady who writes the books the other places use.)

However you don't review the students the instructors do. But they are doing outcome based massage, NOT relaxation massage.

Only problem with them is you have to make an appointment at least a month in advance or they have no room.

No reason at all for anyone to be embarassed by a massage, to them you are just slab of muscle and connective tissue. If they're well trained then trust me they see you walk in and they're immediately doing gate assesment, seeing how you hold your limbs, back, neck, its all telling them what's wrong and what they need to work on. That's what they're noticing, nothing personal.

Bookmark   August 11, 2004 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
reusable cloth grocery bags/ save money or not?
I decided to buy some reusable cloth grocery bags from...
bretonb
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
Sponsored Products
Rebecca Chair & Ottoman Slipcover - Essentials
Ballard Designs
Thermostatic Shower System, Square Ceiling Head, Handset & Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Bella Orange-Paprika Chaise
Overstock.com
Pre-owned Heywood Wakefield Ashcraft Bamboo Chairs - A Pair
$650.00 | Chairish
Neptune | Zen Activ-Air Tub
$4,282.50 | YBath