My Saving Tip

vnw232February 13, 2013

I save on sewing thread by using nylon thread. Its clear and is nearly invisible against fabric. This saves me from having to purchase a lot of different thread colors. My washer dryer and sewing machines have no problem with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

What a great idea!

For those of us who sewed clothing for ourselves, our families, and a plethora of household items over the years, I have a 40+ year collection of thread and I'm shocked by the price of thread these days, and thankful I kept every spool. I also look for spools of thread at thrift stores and garage sales because it IS so expensive.

I also dip into my embroidery floss collection when I need a color I don't have in my thread collection for mending or replacing a button.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 5:02PM
azzalea

I'm curious about something with the nylon thread--how does it do on natural fabrics. Having so much tensile strength, I'd imagine that eventually seams on cottons, for example, would eventually tear, because the cotton (weaker) threads would break. Have you done this long-term enough to know how things hold up with it? It is generally recommended that the thread used be comparable to the fabric it's used on.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:51AM
tashasilvester

Clothing can take up a big chunk of the household budget, but with a little planning you can look great with less money spend. Plan your clothes shopping. Never buy on impulse and try to wait until what you need is on sale.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 1:36PM
krissie55

Nylon invisible thread works great hemming/binding quilts. A narrow zig-zag stitch (loosen needle tension small amount ) allows a little stretch without snapping the thread.

No longer need various colors to match fabric.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed
At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month,...
joyfulguy
reusable cloth grocery bags/ save money or not?
I decided to buy some reusable cloth grocery bags from...
bretonb
are your sheets coming off?
MY SHEETS WERE ALWAYS COMING OFF OF THE BED. ON A SHOPPING...
wjswecampbell
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™