Reusing Ceramic Tile

shw001March 28, 2011

I need to re-set about a dozen 3 inch x 3 inch tiles on a shower floor (after some careful preparation and sanding out old thinset etc.). Can I reuse the old tiles, if I can get most of the old thinset off? I am concerned that since there will always be some residu of the old thinset on the tiles, it might not adhere over the long term. Is this concern justified?

To purchase tiles to match these tiles , I would have to purchase an entire box (10-11 sq. feet).

I would appreciate any views.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

The Old thinset residue will not hurt a thing as long as its not built up to where the tile may set too high. Moisten everything before you reapply the thinset.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 8:56AM
measure_twice

shw001, why did the tiles come loose?

Reason I ask, if they loosened by themselves it could be an underlying problem that will happen again. Like, water seeping where it should not.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 6:25PM
shw001

Thanks Don, that's reassuring. Will give it a try

Measure Twice, that's a great question! and a mystery I have been wondering about. The installation is 2 years old. About a year ago about 4-5 inches of grout broke out in another location on the same shower floor (no loose tiles), I re-grouted with leftover grout and it still looks great.

This new section started with grout cracking in a line about 18 inches long, then the crack turns 90 degrees and goes for a few more inches. only 2 tiles are actually loose to the touch. I suspect bad mixture of thinset or grout in that area. Or maybe some hollow spots in the thinset under the tiles. The cracks have not grown in a couple of months and we use the shower every day.

I am expecting the worst that when I start scraping at the grout, about a dozen tiles will come out. Then I will use my ocillating tool to scrape out old thinset, clean up well, and re-set.

Thanks again everyone.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™