Roof Truss Rot Damage.

bill830March 30, 2009

While preparing to replace the fascia board I saw that several of the roof trusses on my house have rot damage in the last 2"-12". The trusses extend a total of 22" beyond the side of the house. Any suggestions on how to fix the trusses to 1) provide the proper support for the edge of the roof and 2) provide solid wood to attach the fascia board to?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Don't tell the building inspector, but replace the rotted 2x stock, and gusset the repair from both sides with 3/4" plywood and #8 sinkers. The gusset must overlap onto good old truss material.
Casey

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 8:24PM
brickeyee

Those are tails.

If you have open soffits you can cut back to solid wood, then use pocket holes to attach new wood and fill the pockets.

An invisible repair.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 9:48PM
pjb999

I would try to ascertain why these sections are damaged, most importantly, so you can rectify it. Might be ice damming, for example.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 11:38AM
bill830

Thank you brickeyee, sombreuil mongrel, and pjb999 for the solutions. Brickeyee, the pocket hole idea is exactly what I was looking for. I do have open soffits and I need an invisible repair. Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 9:24PM
brickeyee

A Kreg jig is not very much for teh simple clamp on type.

I have been using either four or six of the longest pocket hole screws I can find (#8 x 2 inches) along with a decent amount of Titebond III glue.

I do not use the pocket fillers that are available, but use Minwax High Performance wood filler.

You should also treat the ends of the new pieces with Minwax Wood hardener (especially the end grain).
It fills up the water conducting paths in the end grain, and makes the paint stay on better.

If there are any gaps in the joint between old and new, fill them with wood filler also.

A coat of alkyd oprimer (if available) and two coats of exterior latex finish up the job.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™