Drainage issues

Lexie76March 10, 2013

Hello,

I live in a condo and have gotten flooded due to drainage issues. It is a known issue to my HOA and they have dragged their feet on this for 10 years. Rather than use the settlement money from the builder to fix the problems, they invested the money and as a result, numerous units were flooded from heavy rain storms. The current Board has finally agreed to do the necessary repairs but they didn't get to it before winter and it is currently on hold until spring. Every time we get moisture there is standing water & ice next to the foundation.

The HOA fixed and paid for the flood damages in the inside. In the spring they will do the repairs outside and will not give a flying f**k about potential problems within the unit ((sorry to put it so bluntly). My concern is cracks in the foundation from years of neglect. There are cracks outside of my patio and porch. I am worried about mold. I am not a handy person so it's not easy for me to remove my carpet to check for cracks. What do you recommend that I do? I want a peace of mind and also I want to be able to sell my condo with confidence. Do I hire an environmental remediation company or get a house inspection? Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by lexie76 on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:20

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Hind sight is 20/20.
When you found the funds for the repairs were not going to be used for that purpose you should have gotten the affected owners together and sued the board for malfeasance and had them thrown out and elected a new board.

A home inspection can be a double edged sword and may or may not be a prerequisite.

If ordered by the seller, often the repairs are not made and they become a negotiated settlement in the offer/counter offer.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™