Carbon Monoxide Detection and Movement

plumeriavineMarch 5, 2010

Online, I am finding some variation about where to put carbon monoxide detectors.

Any opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Where required by the applicable building code or local ordinance, they are usually required to be located on each story of the dwelling including basements but not crawl spaces or uninhabitable attics.

The CO detectors may or may not be required to be interconnected, combined with smoke detectors, or have battery backup.

Don't rely on the internet; find out what code and/or ordinance applies and read it or ask your building department.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 10:33PM
HandyMac

I always locate mine near furnace vents, CO2 is heavier than air.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 12:46AM
macv

CO2 is heavier than air but CO is not. Because CO quickly diffuses throughout a room, a CO detector should be placed where it won't be accidentally damaged or provide false alarms.

CO2 is an indoor pollutant and greenhouse gas. CO will combine with hemoglobin in your blood and kill you.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:19AM
macv

NFPA 720 "Standard for the Installation of Carbon Monoxide(CO) Detection and Warning Equipment" says:
"A carbon monoxide alarm or detector should be centrally located outside of each separated sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. Where bedrooms are separated and the audibility of the alarm or detector to occupants within the bedroom area could be seriously impaired, more than one unit could be needed."

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 7:45AM
HandyMac

Mixing up CO and CO2 was rather silly. I stand corrected.

I still mount a CO detector close to the closest heating register to the furnace, preferably as close to above it as possible.

Then another in the vicinity of the bedrooms.

I had a situation where the detector nearest the vent went off. It was during the day and I did the necessary checking before the bedroom mounted one triggered.

It is one of those better than recommended things in my mind.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 11:37PM
macv

CO leaks can occur at a heating appliance or anywhere along a vent flue/chimney. Rather than trying to predict where the leak will occur it is best to locate CO detectors near the occupants especially where they sleep and where they are more likely to hear and/or be awakened by the alarm.

To provide greater protection the CO detectors can be located inside as well as outside a bedroom and/or be linked together and/or be combined with the smoke detectors.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™