How to fix cracking ceiling with radiant heating wires?

steve22802November 8, 2011

I have an older house (about 40 years old) and there are a few spots where there are cracks in the ceiling that I'd like to fix. The problem is that it's not just a regular drywall ceiling. There is a layer of drywall, then radiant heating wires imbedded in something really hard, it seems almost like concrete. In a couple places it seems like the concrete layer is separating from the drywall and dropping down slightly at the crack location. So somehow I need to raise the it back up before I patch it so it doesn't make a bump, but I don't want to start breaking the concrete layer up even more. Any suggestions?

By the way, the ceiling heat is no longer working in the room that needs the ceiling repairs so I don't need to worry about hitting the wires with drywall screws.

- Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

With the adhesive failing, the only permanant fix is to remove all of the old layers and install new drywall. Yes, it's messy and unpleasant, but once you are done with that job, you are DONE with fixes. Any patchwork type of repair will just involve continually patchwork repairs as the glue continues to fail in other spots.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802

Thanks for the advice GreenDesigns. I already did a full ceiling replacement in my bathroom and yes it was a terrible mess. The other room is much bigger and it's difficult to even contemplate ripping out that whole ceiling. :(

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Large scale Asbestos Removal?!!
We are planning a large home renovation. First step...
houseofmagnolia
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
Sponsored Products
1-Light Ceiling Polished Brass
$36.90 | PLFixtures
Bamboo Wrap Ava 5-Light Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
6 Lights Pleated Off White Fabric Shade Brass Chandelier
ParrotUncle
Capital Lighting Grandview Traditional Chandelier
1800Lighting
David Trubridge Design | Basket of Knowledge - Kete Tuaatea
YLighting
Elk Lighting 546-6SLVM-CRC 6 Light Pendant in Satin Nickel w/ Silver Multi Crack
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™