Replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel

ceetom1March 28, 2009

Can anyone offer advice on replacing an aluminum sliding patio door wheel. The door is very difificult to slide to the point where I need to lift it to move it. The 8 foot tall door is taller than the opening from sill to sill, which means I may have to remove the stationary door facing the outdoors first in order to remove the sliding door. The stationary door does not have a high sill like the sliding door, so it should be easier to remove. However, I do not see anything to remove the stationary door such as a spacer in the top track or any screws. It is difficult if not impossible to lift up, so there may be something holding it in place. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

The link below gives you the procedure for replacing the rollers---which are most likely the reason your door is so difficult to operate.

You can buy the replacement parts from most hardware stores or home improvement stores.

This replacement procedure also explains how to take the door out of the frame.

All you will need is a couple of screwdrivers---a flat tip and a Phillips tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to replace the rollers

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Be sure to check on the moving side if there are any screws in the upper track for security (and if there are not you may need to add them).

It is relatively easy to break in through a sliding door by lifting it off the track.
The little pot metal latch can be broken easily.

A few screws in the upper track sticking part way out to reduce the clearance prevent the door from being lifted.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™