Cracked mortar around exterior brick..Is this a big problem?

southernmumMarch 3, 2011

Hey, I wasn't sure exactly which forum/category to post this. We're considering buying a house that is well maintained, gorgeous, etc. but have found one visible problem. There are a few places on the exterior of the home where the mortar around some of the bricks appears to be cracked. Just around three or four bricks, but the cracks do go both horizontally and vertically around the brick shape. The house is about 25 years old. Is this just normal wear and tear/age, or could this be a red flag? Of course if we purchase it, we will get it professionally inspected, but I wanted to get some opinions here before we proceed in possibly writing up an offer. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Cracks in bricks usually show movement in the home foundation/slab, the only real way to have it accessed is to have a professional look the home.

    Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 7:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

How did "mortar around some of the bricks appears to be cracked" become "cracks in bricks"?

You probably need to have at least a mason look at the cracks, but if they are hairline cracks with no movement they likely are nothing.

The mortar may simply have dried to quickly.

    Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's what we're hoping for, Brickeyee! Thanks, guys, for taking the time to respond! We'll see what our inspector has to say. Hopefully it's nothing but a little age.

    Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

And if it helps to convey what I'm talking about better, the cracks are stair-shaped along the bricks.

    Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Let us know the outcome; the house most likely has settled. After 25 years movement can happen. One caution Home Inspectors for a sale of a home will usually note the issue but will not make a statement as to whether it�s actually an issue. Look for a structural engineer or a foundation company to do the evaluation.

    Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 9:05AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™