Is there a word for this piece of a door?

graywings123March 10, 2014

I want to describe a problem I am having with a set of french doors, but don't know what to call this piece:

Both doors open inward, but one door can be locked in place top and bottom ( from the outside it is the door on the right). Attached to that door on the outside is a strip of wood that forms the look of a frame from the outside. That strip of wood has a kerf in it for a weatherproof seal.

Is there a name for that piece of wood? It is hard to see in the photo because it is painted the same color as the door, but it is what the red arrow is pointed towards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That would be called an " astragal".

    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you so much, Millworkman. I googled Astragal, and that's it exactly.

    Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The internet is an amazing thing.

I learn something new everyday.

    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 1:34PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™