Are these termites, and do we need to act now?

mudwormMarch 14, 2011

Hi, we live in the SF Bay Area (Nor Cal). Yesterday, while clearing out the crawl space, I found a cardboard box that are infested by these insects. Are these (in the image below) the infamous drywood termites? The weird thing is, only this one empty box was infested, and the neighboring cardboard boxes are all intact. I've thrown away that one box already. Do I have reason to believe that the termites are else where too?

Another question is, do termites cause damage fast (if they do exist elsewhere in the house), or can we wait for a while before we get the treatment? (Mainly, we are doing kitchen remodeling and are a little overwhelmed right now.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Sure look like termites.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 6:35PM
golffing

These are termites. I believe Subterranean. If they are in the crawl space than they are there. You can look for TUBES (mud tubes) up your foundation walls along the perimeter of your house for more evidence of infestation. Termite damage is fairly slow, but it might be less expensive to treat now than later.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Interiors

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 10:14PM
bus_driver

Even if the insects in question are not termites, the conditions in the area favorable for them are also favorable for termites. Reason enough to have professional evaluation.
And those do look like subterranean termites.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 7:38AM
ionized_gw

This is not my own knowledge, but cardboard is reputed to be termite candy. Treat or not, you should get it out of the crawl space.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™