New driveway questions...

jscozzMarch 8, 2011

I am considering having my driveway done with asphalt. It has been 3/4 stone for 10 years... I have added more stone twice in that time. It is compacted pretty well, and I would guess if the loose stuff were removed and the remaining surface graded it would be 6-8" of stone base.

I am getting quotes for asphalt now... but my concern is that down the road we want to have a pool put in in our back yard, and heavy machinery will need to use the driveway to get to the back yard. Will a concrete truck and front loaders have any impact of a cured asphalt driveway? How long does it take to cure to full strength? I am also concerned about the edges getting screwed up where the trucks would go off the driveway into the back yard.

My other option is pavers, but that is quite a bit more expensive... and not sure if that would hold up better or worse to truck traffic.

Anyone every have heavy machinery on a new asphalt driveway?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Heavy equipment should have no effect on a proper asphalt driveway. They would be harder on pavers. If you want to protect the edges from cracking with heavy equipment, just place a long 4 X 8 on the soil surface right next to the edge of the asphalt. That way, when the heavy vehicle rolls from the asphalt to the softer ground, the timber will keep the wheels from sinking in and applying pressure to the asphalt edge. In addition, if you are going to put in a pool, it usually is best to have the concrete pumped from a pumper truck for a continuous pour. If you do that, the hose or boom can reach pretty far, and you may be able to avoid having a bunch of heavy traffic running through the yard. I've had dump trucks deliver 17 ton loads of rock to my concrete driveway apron, and they had to get there by driving down my asphalt driveway. There was zero damage.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metaxa

Ya, its not the asphalt or the concrete...its the base.

If you have 6-8 of stone that has been down for 10+ years I'd be real comfortable with that base, personally. Especially if it isn't washed rock, if it has fines and is solid.

IMO, your base should be larger than your top...that is you should see gravel extending out beyond the asphalt, then you landscape up to the finished drive. That way someone runs wide and a tire drops off the drive, its onto a supported spot, not just soil. Ideally, eh?

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
rogerv_gw
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Medium Chest Cushion
Fifthroom.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Saumur Moss Green Semi-Worsted 2
Home Depot
Fresh Recycled Beer Glasses - Set of 6
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Wooden Table Lamps Artistic Beige Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
New Floral Design Rust Heriz Runner Serapi 3' X 20' Hand Knotted Wool Rug H5666
BH Sun Inc
9'' Figure Vase
$44.99 | zulily
Gray Zig Zag Drum Lamp Shade 16x16x11 (Spider)
$19.98 | Lamps Plus
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera 3 Piece Occasional Set - 38201-3SET
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™