Scanning Photo Negatives With Psp 8.10

flutteringbyMarch 21, 2006

Hi All,

This morning hubby found a box of old photo negatives that had been taken in the early 1950's.....they were the large kind that they used to have; much too large to fit in the slide/negative adapter that I have on my scanner (HP 3970).....

So I laid 6 of them on the scanner bed & scanned as an "Image From Glass".......after the scanner did it's thing, I opened the scanned image in Psp & cropped & saved each one separately......then I opened them one at a time & then:

- clicked Adjust; Negative Image - this reversed my negative image & made it a "photo"

- clicked Adjust; Brightness & Contrast; Auto Contrast Enhancement (or you could do this step manually)

The results were amazing!!!.....all these old images were brought back to life!!......I was really impressed, but now I bet I'm setting myself up for a major photo project......LOL....

So don't throw those old negatives out, you might be surprised what you can do with them.....

FlutteringBy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
urlee

FlutteringBy,
Thank you for sharing with us.
I am guessing you scanned the negative like you do a photo.
Then you did your magic in PSP?
I will have to try that.

~~Urlee~~

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 5:26PM
reduc500

Wow. I never would have thought to try something like that.
Thanks!
Judy

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 6:52PM
flutteringby

Yes, Urlee....I scanned the negatives just like a photo....I should have mentioned that they were black & white negatives, guess they hadn't invented color back then.....* G *....

I figured that if the Negative Image setting, under Adjust, would change a photo into a negative then maybe it would change a negative into a photo; & it did!

Psp never ceases to amaze me!

FlutteringBy

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 7:42PM
kyry

Thank you so much for sharing this, I also would have never tried it. I think I will keep this under my hat for now, as I agree with you, it could open up a whole new career in friend and family photo editing.
Carol

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 10:41AM
jacksmum

WOW What a cool tip
I never thought of trying the negative option in reverse.
Thank you FlutteringBy
Sue :)

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Corel draw trace help
I have Corel Draw 12. Need help learning how to use...
Seamer1
PSP9 Graphic
I made this banner several years ago using PSP9. I...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Making copies of a DVD
Recently I had a DVD made from an old 8mm film of home...
davestexas
Scanner Recommendation
I've been trying to decide which flatbed scanner to...
krikit
test photo
just test pic
themaid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™