best quality roofing shingles?

dccnmMarch 26, 2010

We will be replacing our roof this spring. It has two layers of shingles so the roof will be stripped down and replaced totally. We live in Connecticut and our house is in a very shady area so currently moss and lichen are a big problem. I am in the process of getting estimates and am confused by the different companies. Is there a significant difference between them? I will be looking for a 30 yr-lifetime shingle. Clearly the contractor is the most important variable, but assuming I am lucky enough to get a proper job done, is there a big difference between GAF, Certainteed, and Tamko for instance?

I have read about zinc strips to decrease the likelihood of moss and algae but one contractor said the newer shingles are much more algae resistant so the zinc would be overkill. True? Since the cost is relatively inexpensive, my gut is to add it to the project.

My attempts at doing google searches to compare the products has been unsuccessful so I am hoping to learn more here.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spider007

One thing you might look for is shingles with 3M's Scotchgard algae prevention granules. These are used in a lot of different companies' products and include a guarantee against algae (though, interestingly, not against moss). They are copper granules mixed in with the conventional granules. Algae and moss do not like metals, so the copper keeps them from getting a foothold.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 12:43PM
dccnm

Interesting. I didn't pick up on the fact that there was not guarantee against moss! I have decided to go for both--the algae resistant shingles AND the zinc strips. My roof will need all the help it can get if the current one is any indication.

Any comments on the different brands of shingles--Certainteed, GAF, Tamko? Each of the three estimates I have gotten favor a different brand....

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 5:17PM
macv

Algae won't hurt the shingles it just leaves a black residue. Adding pure zinc or copper strips is coltly and the copper granules in algae resistant shingles should be effective enough. Check with local lumberyards to see if they are effective but redundancy isn't a bad thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: info

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 2:59PM
shortlid

Does liken or moss hurt the shingles?

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 2:08PM
buddyrose

dccnm: what did you end up going with?

macv: I just found this thread since I'm investigating shingles for a new roof in CT. My research says that algae, moss etc. hurt the roof in several ways especially with moisture which rots the wood under the roof. I've read several articles on algae. I'm attaching a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: removing moss etc.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 7:59PM
dccnm

Just wanted to follow-up in case anyone finds this old thread while doing a search.

We used the algae resistant shingles AND the zinc strips. My roofer thought the zinc was fabulous. It's inexpensive, apparently easy to install, and (fingers crossed) not one sign of algae or moss to date. The roofer is so impressed that when he recently redid the roof on his own home he added them to his project.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
advice plzzz on how to keep neighbors plants growing under fence
I rent. I get a big discount doing the gardening so...
cottagecindy
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
rogerv_gw
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Sponsored Products
Dale Tiffany Columbus 4 Light Tulip Art Glass Fixture - 22W in. Antique Brass Mu
$349.99 | Hayneedle
4" LV Round Dome Fusion Jack Canopy by LBL Lighting
$53.60 | Lumens
Livex Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Providence Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Black Inc
Home Depot
Graphic Floral II Wall Art
Grandin Road
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Unidoor Plus 41-1/2 in. to 42 in. x 72 in. Hinge
Home Depot
Radiance Floral Vineyard Chandelier with Sky Blue Glass
$628.20 | Bellacor
Tercera Ceiling Fan by Casablanca Fan Company
$359.00 | Lumens
Surya Shibui SH-7408 Interwoven Area Rug - Grey/Beige - SH7408-23
$371.40 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: