Window glazing

bus_driverMarch 1, 2012

Long ago, the advice was to prime wooden windows with oil-based primer before replacing glazing when replacing a broken pane or failed glazing. Oil-based primer no longer available. So what is the suggested primer and how long to let it dry before the new glazing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

I can't answer your priming question. I have to seal up all of my windows so I am going to try Glaze-Ease 601. It is not cheap, but no priming and it can be painted in 2 hours. I bought a couple of tubes, but I have not gotten around to starting my 23+ window project. If I were repairing one window, I would probably stick with standard glazing compound.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 8:19PM
brusso

Oil based primer is available at Big Box. Kilz oil based is available inquart containers.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:26AM
millworkman

Oil based primer is definitely still available the formula has been changed for the current VOC laws (less oil) but still available. Kilz as the previous poster mentioned and most paint manufacturers will have the product available.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:59AM
graywings123

Ionized, I wish you better luck with the Glaze-Ease 601 than I had. I found the mousse-like consistency hard to work with, despite the video where the guy puts it on so easily.

And the stuff is expensive and doesn't go very far. I used one tube for two 2-over-2 sashes and barely had enough. The coverage rate of 35 linear feet per tube seems like a lot, but they figure that for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbet.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 9:29AM
inox

ionized,

Please let us know what you think about Glaze-Eaze 601 after you have done a few windows.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:12PM
bus_driver

It has been a few years since I used DAP 33. Easy to get a good looking job, but I have been disappointed in the long-term performance of the material. Life in the can is poor. It ages rapidly. Surely modern chemistry can do better. Some say SarcoSeal is the better choice. Never tried it.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:30PM
genegraham

Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc.Economy Glass provide glazing services. For more visit http://economyglass.com.au/

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:00AM
bus_driver

genegrahan. williamfitzgerald or whoever you claim to be at the moment, advertising is not permitted on this site. Australia is a bit too distant for my location.
"Glazing is method to fit the panes of glass in a window, door or etc". But your advice is pure genius.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™