Floor is sinking!

doodmanMarch 24, 2008

Hi there! In in middle of my garage, there is a support post to support the floor beams for the floors above. The metal post is embedded into a circular area of concrete on the floor. This circular concrete thing is slowly sinking! One side of it is about 3/4" below the level of the garage floor. I've got spider cracks on a couple of the doors above (bathrooms, and a bedroom have spider cracks at the corners of the door). I've emailed a couple structural engineering firms, but they haven't emailed back! I have no idea who to look for to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure I could fix it by getting two new posts and supporting either side of the existing post, then remove the existing post, digging out the circular base on which it sits a couple feet, and pouring a new concrete base; let it sit for a week or so and reinstall a new support beam, but one wrong move, and my house could fall down lol. What I'd REALLY like to do is get a steel I-beam installed instead of the wooden beams that support the floor, eliminating the need for the post in the middle of my garage. Can ANYONE point me in a direction (Columbus OHIO) to a company that can give me an estimate and take care of my problem? Thanks folks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

For heaven's sake, just pick up the phone and get some contractors in there for quick estimates! You can't have your house fall in from upstairs waiting for e-mail.

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

I would go ahead and frame a temporary wall the full span of the support beam until you can get an engineer, but no matter, get an engineers advise pronto. Stress that you feel this is mission critical, you know, highly unsafe!

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
thebigad
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Sponsored Products
Ancient Hemp Rope Dining Room Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Ming Floor Lamp in Aged Brass Finish
Lamps Plus
Pillow Talk Pouf
$238.99 | Dot & Bo
Hive | C-U C-ME O Large Floor Lamp
$825.00 | YLighting
Bamboo Roll Up Blinds - Red 60 Inch, Width - 60 Inches
$49.00 | Bellacor