How to fix wall to wall crack

sfcdmuMarch 23, 2009

Just bought 5-year townhouse, there is a vertical wall to wall joint crack, almost from floor to ceiling. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am coming up with several options? first one to use latex cauk to fill the gap. The second one is to use the joint compound to fill the crack, then embed tape to cover the crack. Please advise. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

First, you need to find out why the crack happened. That will dictate how to fix it.

    Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like your drywall was hung vertically to have a floor to ceiling crack that long. The cause is possibly a warped stud at that seam. Take a straightedge that is long enough to cover a few stud spaces, (at least 48"), and hold it horizontally centering it over the crack in the middle and see if it rocks. That will tell whether that stud is bowed out. Cracking can occur if the stud is extremely bowed in as well but typically more predominant when bowed out.

    Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™