Silicone question

ms_minnamouseMarch 28, 2011

I have a question about silicone, like the kind you use for kitchen and bath, windows and doors, etc.

Will wet silicone bond with dry silicone? What I mean is, if you do put some silicone down and it dries and then you add more onto it later, will it bond and create a water tight seal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

In my experience, it will not bond very well, although it may seem to if you lay down a big bead of it that covers the old stuff. Generally, it's usually better to cut away old caulk -- of any kind -- with a razor blade before re-caulking.

What are you trying to do?

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 1:58PM
HandyMac

No.

Adding almost any kind of caulk/sealer/etc. over another, even the same type/kind/brand, is not a good practice.

Silicon glazes when cured, creating a smooth imprevious finish that resists moisture/dirt/etc.

So, if there is a problem with an existing area, remove all the old sealer, clean with alcohol, make sure all moisture and foreign materials are gone, and reapply new material.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 3:12PM
ms_minnamouse

Ok, I called Dow Corning and they said that it will adhere and create a water tight seal. I'll rough up the silicone where I add to it just in case and hope for the best.

I'm sealing an aquarium.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 6:45PM
kudzu9

Well, good luck. If it starts leaking in a while, follow the advice about removing the old stuff.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™