Instead of Computer Glasses...Increase FONT size.

krissie55January 29, 2012

Don't bother with computer glasses, enlarge the FONT size on the computer.

I can do that on my computer by holding down the "CTRL" key and rolling the "wheel" of the mouse to size font I need. It has been holding regardless of which site I go to or use Word. Your computer may have another way to enlarge the font. If all else fails, go to "HELP" on your computer instead of going to a computer site for instructions. The sites did not work for me, the HELP did.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

(Actually, the Computer Help forum here is the BEST!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help forum

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 7:41PM
jomuir

that's fine up to a point. But when I enlarge the font to a size I can read w/out glasses, I lose the ability to see the whole article I'm reading & have to scroll side-to-side as well as up & down, also can't view/navigate webpages that have a lot of graphics I may want to see. It's like trying to surf the web on a smartphone, fine in a pinch, but crappy for a long session.

What I do is enlarge the font somewhat & wear readers a bit weaker than I use for books, because I'm farther away from the computer screen (24+") than I am from a book (8-12"). The link explains it better than I am (I don't have these brand glasses, just an explanation of the different distances and strengths of glasses needed).

Ain't getting older fun! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: computer glasses

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 9:16AM
azzalea

Just another comment on computer use and glasses.

If you wear bifocals or progressives, it's important to buy computer glasses. If you don't, and use your regular progressives to work at the computer, you will be holding your neck at an unnatural angle, and there is research that shows that can cause permanent damage to the neck over time.

For the progressive wearer, computer glasses would be designed so that the bottom of the glasses are for close work, and the upper part is formulated for computer screen distance. The brand Compuvue makes lenses that are just amazing--NO side distortion (like you get with regular progressives). Luckily, my dd is an optician and keeps me both informed and supplied with the best eyecare solutions.

It's really important, though, that if you do a lot of computer work, that you discuss your corrections with your opthalmologist or qualified optician (not all opticians are licensed, in all states) and get the proper correction for your needs. One pair of glasses may not be enough to handle all your activities properly.

And considering the cost of medical treatment, to me it IS a money-saving tip to have the best eye correction possible.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™