trash pullouts--what did you use?

raee_gwApril 30, 2013

I want to use 2 pullouts in the 30" cabinet, for trash, compost and recycling (2 bins on one side, one on the other). The bins don't have to be large, in fact most of the options that I've seen are too large. I think a 4 or 5 gallon bin will be big enough for trash and recycling, smaller for the composting. We don't generate a lot of trash.

Has anyone just used one of the Rev-a-shelf pullout baskets with their own bins, instead of the trash can pullouts?

I was sure that I saw trash pullouts at Ikea, too, but I sure can't find them on the website. Anyone have those?

What are other options? Oh, and which works better, making the door part of the pullout mechanism, or having a traditional door with the pullout separate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justmakeit

I can't speak to any of your first questions, but your last question I can answer: definitely make the door part of the pullout mechanism. I've had friends with kitchens where the door was separate from the pullout, and they both report that the two-step process is unbelievably annoying. This makes sense to me, given how often you open the trash in the kitchen every day, and especially since your hands are usually full of gunk when you're aiming for the trash. In my kitchen, I made sure to make it a one-step opening.

Hope someone else can help with the Rev-a-shelf and Ikea questions.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

Thanks justmakeit! I was wondering if attaching the door to the pullout would make it too difficult to access the rest of the space between the pullouts.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
White Kitchen Reveal
This is my second kitchen reno with the help of this...
rbpdx
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™