removing the wall btw kitchen and dining area

punapatNovember 6, 2011

Hi, We are remodeling our condo.. it has 9 x 9 kitchen and 8x9 dining area. there are two entry to the kitchen. one from dining area and one from living area.. I am thinking to remove the remaingin wall between dining and kitchen and make it more open and make an island or peninsula... another thing is right now the refrigerator is in the kitchen..I am thinking to move that refrigerator and make couter top bigger with few more cabinet and shift refrigerator to one corner of that dining area.. that corner is right beside the stove and from there right now is a entry from dining to kitchen..

moving refrigerator and removing wall to have paninsula or island is a good idea? give me some idea for island or paninsula... I will try to put a map..thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It can be a good idea, but we would need a floor plan to be able to see if functionality would be improved. Taking down a wall won't be cheap and you need a structural engineer in to see if it's load bearing and design the support if it is. Then you will have to relocate all of the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC located in that wall, plus deal with the flooring and ceiling transitions between the two rooms. Unless you are a massivly skilled DIYer, it's time to interview a few contractors. You're looking in the neighborhood of 30-50K for a low end kitchen remodel with structural changes. How much DIY you can bring to the table will keep the project towards the lower figure.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Matching cabinet door/drawer profiles
I hired a contractor back in February of last year...
LuckyJoe
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling
I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding...
montanabo
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Sponsored Products
Pewter & Green Divine Wool-Blend Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Silver, 8'10" x 12'5" M1776-59
Darya Rugs
Outdoor Area Rug: Alexa Medallion 8' x 10' Printed Patio
Home Depot
Besa Lighting | Slipstream Slim 16 Ceiling Light
$229.50 | YLighting
Portia Pendant Light in Black - Large
$249.99 | Dot & Bo