Question about hard red wheat. . .

ilovetnJanuary 31, 2011

I have a lot of hard red wheat. I've been making wheat bread using grainlady's recipe for a while. I'm wondering if I could use some of the red wheat to start using it up? Maybe a cup of red and the rest white?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

ilovetn-

Sure you can. ;-) I sometimes use 50/50, but you'll notice a more acidic "whole wheat" flavor and a darker color. However much you use, I'd suggest putting the red wheat flour in the sponge and using an overnight sponge. The long sponge will help lighten the color and reduce some of the acidic flavor. Save your white wheat flour for the last addition.

I like to use red wheat for growing wheatgrass, making into bulgur, milling for "Cream of Wheat" (farina) cereal, and adding to multi-grain cereal mixes. When I make "cooked" wheat I mix it 1-part red wheat and 4-parts white wheat for a nice color to the mix.

You may find the link below helpful if you've never made your own bulgur. I "cook" my wheat in a Thermos or a Thermal Cooker (if I make a lot), so no long cooking session. It can "cook" itself overnight on the kitchen counter (LOL). Then proceed with the rest of the recipe.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Turning Wheat Berries into Bulgur

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 6:50PM
ilovetn

Thanks Grainlady! I'll give this a try for the next loaf, probably Wednesday.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 9:06PM
lawrenceherbert63

Using red wheat will obviously live its color on the bread, if you are ok with it then you can use a cup of red wheat alongwith white bread

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
are your sheets coming off?
MY SHEETS WERE ALWAYS COMING OFF OF THE BED. ON A SHOPPING...
wjswecampbell
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
reusable cloth grocery bags/ save money or not?
I decided to buy some reusable cloth grocery bags from...
bretonb
How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed
At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month,...
joyfulguy
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™