Insulation Advice!

gabethanMarch 23, 2014

1. Subfloor - We gutted an old home and have been repeatedly advised to somehow insulate our underneath our subfloor. One suggestion was to use foam under the crawl space. Any advice??

2. Cellulose vs Foam - I'm trying to decide which one. Any reason not to use one or the other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

If the subfloor/floor sheathing is still in place cellulose would need an encasement membrane installed to keep it in the joist bays.

Fiberglass batts have, as a normal function of their installation, splay wires as a retainer.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:00AM
ionized_gw

Consider rigid panels as well. I was looking for a study by LSU comparing rigid panels to spray foam. I can't find it. maybe you will have better luck. Check out these links:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nr/rdonlyres/a787749c-0a32-4595-bf30-8b05d548518f/96454/sprayfoamatticshvacandmoisture.pdf

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nr/rdonlyres/d33f711d-dc4b-4e4c-9ed6-a97dce9db026/79805/pub3187insulatingraisedfloorslowres.pdf

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:46PM
kudzu9

How much room do you have to work underneath the floor? That would affect what I would choose to install.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™