adding a little charm

kellykathOctober 20, 2012

I'm doing a reno to a 1920's bungalow and have quite a bit of maintenance issues/updates that need to get done. This is a small 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath - the 1/2 part is the tiniest room with a tiny corner sink and a toilet. Anyway, I was thinking about adding a few details to make it a little more "charming". I can't spend too much on the "extras" however I was wondering if in a small hallway that leads to a bath at the end and 3 other rooms along the way if anyone has ever installed french doors to the entry of the rooms- I would then hang pretty coordinating fabric on the inside (double sided) so both sides would look good). I would just like to add SOMETHING to give the house a bit of character. The outside windows are not french. So . . . . my question is - - has anyone seen or done something like this or is it not the "right" thing to do. My goal is to keep the vintage look however the cheapo doors that exist in the rooms are going to be replaced anyway. I'm most likely going to turn this place into a rental and want to give it some added charm. I would really appreciate it if you have this situation if you could post a picture for me as well. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

Lots of old pre-war apartments had french doors, and they would often have fabric on them. I suggest you search on Houzz for something link french door bedrooms fabric and see what turns up.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:57AM
renovator8

Perhaps it would be best if you posted some photos of what you are talking about.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 6:37AM
lavender_lass

Here are a few photos that might work. If you do hang fabric, it's often easier to open and close the doors, if you put rods at top and bottom. If you want to see a bit of view to the other side, you can tie the middle of the fabric, or not, to have more privacy. Hope this helps :)

From [Cottage house plans](https://picasaweb.google.com/113704953485102437421/CottageHousePlans?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite) From [Cottage house plans](https://picasaweb.google.com/113704953485102437421/CottageHousePlans?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPLFkNLC2c3TDQ&feat=embedwebsite)
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 12:39PM
virgilcarter

Adding a little charm? Be careful--too much charm may be a dangerous condition! If you're not careful, you will find yourself in cute!

Good luck on your project!

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 9:06PM
lyvia

I've seen doors like that, particularly in Boston, or older homes further south. They control the heat, so that for example, the formal living and dining room could be left chilly, and the heat concentrated on the popular rooms. They also control noise. It's the opposite of an open floor plan. For a bathroom, it would be something to get used to, but if the bath opens to a somewhat secluded hallway, then it would be okay. And the fabric could be cute. I think it's a great idea.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 8:13AM
joannemb

I did something similar in my bathroom...here is a pic:
http://pinterest.com/pin/197595502372887888/

I was going to get oil rubbed bronze rods from Rejuvenation.com and hang sheers, but decided to use Krylon looking glass spray paint instead for a vintage mirrored effect on one side, and painted the other side so it looks like wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: french doors to bathroom

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™