Mold removal

enmnmMarch 19, 2011

Someone-who-shall-remain-nameless (not me!) did not clean up the sawdust from a home improvement project in a far corner of the basement. Now, we have a lump of mold.

What is the best way to get rid of it? I have heard scrubbing it, vinegar, boric acid, etc. If I use water down there how do I dry it so nothing more sprouts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

bleach

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 6:36PM
HandyMac

Bleach removes the mold, but does not kill mold spores.

There are several home recipies and some OTC products that kill spores.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:08PM
brickeyee

Just remove the material and move on.

Most of the spores 9If there are any) will be in the material.

Absent moisture and nutrients any remaining are unlikely to germinate.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 8:15PM
ionized_gw

Is this just concrete walls and floor? If so you might be able to do as brickeyee suggests and sleep soundly at night. How big of a pile of sawdust was this?What concerns me is that if a pile of sawdust got moldy, rather than drying out,promptly, you have too much moisture in your basement and will have continuing mold problems. This could be dangerous for your house and you. Get an inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer that registers max/min and monitor the situation. You should be below 50% relative humidity all the time. If is is drier than that most of the time, then short excursions above that are O.K.

Bleach does not "remove" or clean any more than plain water does. (It does not have detergent or soap properties.) It is registered to kill fungi. "Mold" is an imprecise term, but sodium hypochlorite bleach used on a clean, nonporous surface at the correct concentrations should kill mold. Concrete would not be considered a nonporous surface. I would also be cautious about the chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete. Come to think about it, it is safe for pools. OTOH, I guess they are coated.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:21PM
brickeyee

"chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete"

None of any significance.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™