Mold removal

enmnmMarch 19, 2011

Someone-who-shall-remain-nameless (not me!) did not clean up the sawdust from a home improvement project in a far corner of the basement. Now, we have a lump of mold.

What is the best way to get rid of it? I have heard scrubbing it, vinegar, boric acid, etc. If I use water down there how do I dry it so nothing more sprouts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

bleach

    Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 6:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Bleach removes the mold, but does not kill mold spores.

There are several home recipies and some OTC products that kill spores.

    Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Just remove the material and move on.

Most of the spores 9If there are any) will be in the material.

Absent moisture and nutrients any remaining are unlikely to germinate.

    Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Is this just concrete walls and floor? If so you might be able to do as brickeyee suggests and sleep soundly at night. How big of a pile of sawdust was this?What concerns me is that if a pile of sawdust got moldy, rather than drying out,promptly, you have too much moisture in your basement and will have continuing mold problems. This could be dangerous for your house and you. Get an inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer that registers max/min and monitor the situation. You should be below 50% relative humidity all the time. If is is drier than that most of the time, then short excursions above that are O.K.

Bleach does not "remove" or clean any more than plain water does. (It does not have detergent or soap properties.) It is registered to kill fungi. "Mold" is an imprecise term, but sodium hypochlorite bleach used on a clean, nonporous surface at the correct concentrations should kill mold. Concrete would not be considered a nonporous surface. I would also be cautious about the chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete. Come to think about it, it is safe for pools. OTOH, I guess they are coated.

    Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"chemical effects of hypochlorites on concrete"

None of any significance.

    Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:41PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sponsored Products
Curvy Dining Side Chair in Yellow
$99.00 | LexMod
White French Countryside Bed Frame
$659.99 | zulily
simplehuman Soap Dishes 22 oz. Square Push Pump with Caddy Clear Plastic
$24.99 | Home Depot
Hoppi Chrome Four-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Mocha Glass
$463.50 | Bellacor
Curvy Dining Chairs Set of 2 in Orange
$118.00 | LexMod
CleanCOOL Gel-infused 3" Memory Foam Topper - Twin
$259.00 | FRONTGATE
Tulip Chair in Black with White Cushion
$139.99 | Dot & Bo
Joy Carpets Play on Words Kids Area Rug - 1401-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™