Door replacement -Measurement and install question

crashballOctober 3, 2012

I have a rather ragged entry door that is going to be replaced as part of a kitchen remodel. Its not a prehung door, but i am replacing it with one. I've already removed the exterior trim to verfy rough opening and jamb size. The jamb seems to be 5 7/16. I can get custom widths down to 1/16 of an inch. Should i go with 5 7/16, or would it make sense to round it up to 5 1/2"? Being an old house i'm not sure about any irregularities around the opening, but if that extra 1/16 makes it stand proud, i can shave some off. On the other hand, if it 1/16" short, i imagine a thin bead of caulk would make it disappear. Any thoughts?

My other question is, if i removed the factory brick molding, would i have to remove the interior casing to install the door? I am trying to avoid removing and potentially damaging the interior trim. I plan on reinstalling the exterior trim/casing as well, so it seems removing the factory brick mold should allow me to shim and insulat all the areas around the rought opening i would need to. Does this sound doable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

No you need to remove the interior trim to install the door properly. Measure the jamb in 4 places and go with the closest possible size but I would go a slight bit smaller and caulk as you mentioned.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
What type of professional do I hire for remodel plans?
I have an offer in on a house that I would be interested...
House Lover
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™