Best Deck Protection

rollytanMarch 29, 2011

We recently built a house that had a 12ft wide and 2 foot deep concrete detention area in the very back of our property that belonged to the HOA. This was an established neighborhood that had 'established' that the homeowner took care of it by cleaning etc. We decided to run 2x8 joists secured with anchor bolts to detention wing walls and then overlaid 5/4 deck boards (treated pine). It wasn't the kind of job you'd do on your backyard deck but it keeps the leaves out and the kids! One thing we did was make the center 6 feet removable by making panels that lay down and can be removed.

So enough details.. what is going to be the best method to protect the wood from warping, splintering etc considering its not our 'back yard deck' and we are not as concerned with asthetics. I want what will seal the deck the best, period. Also, how long can I expect this thing to last if I keep it sealed and repeat every couple years?

All the best.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Generally speaking the more opaque the finish, the more protection it will provide and the longer it will last. A solid stain is better than a semi-transparent is better than a clear.

Properly cared for, I would imagine it would last 15+ years.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™