fireplace

NYMIKEMarch 21, 2014

I'm buying an older home (circa 1890) that has six coal fireplaces. I would like to convert them to woods. Any information from the smallest to completion would be appreciated. Where do I start, who does this type of work, do I need permits, fireplace inserts, chimney insulation, etc. Thank you for any help and suggestions. Mike P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Coal boxes are too shallow for wood and extremely difficult to convert if you want to maintain it as a masonry unit. You need a fireplace expert, and a LOT of money. As in boatloads.

The least expensive way to do it would be to add a wood burning insert, but it will stick out from the fireplace, need the hearth enlarged, and will need the chimney lined with a modern metal flue. And that's the easiest and cheapest approach. Go to a local shop that sells fireplace inserts and accessories and talk to them for a while first, then if you are comfortable with the costs being thrown around, then set up an appointment to have them come out and assess the condition of them in person.

Most people end up converting only 1 or 2 major ones, and walling over the rest.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
rogerv_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™