Sidewalk sealing

higgledyMarch 22, 2013

One more sidewalk-related question. I have a son who loves to track mud and dirt onto my porch. The dirt is difficult to clean and stains the porch. This is the front porch so I want it to look clean for guests. Would sealing a concrete porch help keep it clean, in addition to protecting it from water damage? I am thinking the sealer would prevent the dirt from getting trapped in the concrete pores. What do you guys/gals think? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

I have a stamped driveway, and I seal it every other year.

A concrete/masonary supply will carry concrete sealer - I used Mighty Brite or Diamond Crystal. I'm sure they have something like this. It's in 5 gallon cans. You may have enough for several years.

Power wash sidewalk, let it dry over night. Using a pole and a roller apply the sealant. Use disposable gloves, buy a cheap roller, brush, roller cover and tray - throw it all out when you're done.

Generally the sealant lasts about two years.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:31AM
tinan

Definitely! I have a concrete countertop (DIY!) and used an inexpensive sealer - Quickrete Cure and Seal from Lowes - and the concrete doesn't stain. I've had lots of stuff spilled and left on the countertop that would normally stain concrete- it all wiped off with a damp cloth. The sealer was $18/gallon and I used a thin coat on 55 sq ft of counter, I still have most of the gallon left.

Power wash and scrub first, then seal.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 11:01PM
tashasilvester

Sealing your sidewalk is a great idea, but you should take the opportunity to make additional repairs and changes to the sidewalk before you seal it. Its better to plan plan to work on a sunny day to help cut down on drying time between tasks.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™