Drywall Repair

P_BennettFebruary 11, 2012

I am looking for some advice to see if this drywall project is something that a complete amateur could handle, or if I should call in a professional. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

There are pictures available via the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

To fix that mess, you need to remove the bad parts and put in new sheetrock

Not really difficult, but not a first time DIY job without some help from an experienced person.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 11:56PM
stash-hdy

http://www.drywallschool.com/bigpatch2.htm

Here's a link to give you an idea of what the patching entails

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:53AM
P_Bennett

Thanks for the input. Is that something that a professional could fix in one day, or would it take longer with having to wait for drying?

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:03PM
brickeyee

"Is that something that a professional could fix in one day, or would it take longer with having to wait for drying?"

One day if they know how to use quick setting compounds like EasySand20.

It sets in about 20 minutes (it hardens by chemical reaction, not drying out) and a new coat can be applied as soon as the previous coat has set firmly.
I usually take a left over blob and put it aside, then check it for setting.
When the test blob is hard, you can double check the wall and start mixing another batch for the next coat.

If te first few coats are mixed with minimum water shrinkage is not even an issue.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:52PM
AmyCF

Are you installing the drywall to make the room soundproof? If you're planning to do this on your own, you need to downloas specific guidelines. this is a taxing job so you will probably need an extra hand to complete this job. If you are used into doing home repairs and improvement, this should be an easy job for you, but if you're a newbie, you might want to consider consulting an expert first.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 5:29AM
graywings123

Speaking as an amateur, an amateur could do this. I have done this work, but was helped greatly by having watched a painter do some drywall repair for me.

There are some tools you need to do this. If you have to buy them for a one-time job, it cuts into the savings of hiring someone.

This is a project that I would end up working on over a series of days with multiple trips to Home Depot (as are all my projects). A drywall guy will do it in one day.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:30AM
gzec

Anyone could do the job, but it might not look too good when completed. A pro will make it disappear.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™