$41k garage addition?

JamieFebruary 21, 2012

First, please forgive my double post. I put this on the remodeling forum before I realized that there's not much action over there and that the repair forum gets more visits.

Below is a quote for enlarging an attached single car garage. The existing garage has a passage door and 2 windows. These will be retained and relocated.

The enlarged garage will have a single garage door in front. The existing garage's door is also in the front.

The roof shingles and siding, which will be matched, are not in any way extraordinary. Existing soffit and facia are from 1937, so they might be slightly different from the cheapest thing available today, but they are no where near grand. It is not an especially tall garage.

The quote is lacking the following terms, which are understood by all parties and would be written in before signing: existing 6 X 19 garage will be widened to 25 X 19, and a 6 X 12 storage alcove will be added to one side. The storage alcove will not have attic above. Electrical wiring and outlets will be replaced and extended.

The garage is easy to access. It is not in a tight space, on a hill, or far from the street.

The price seems insane to me, perhaps double what it should be. That is a gut reaction. I know nothing about the nuts and bolts.

Do you see something I could omit or question?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Sounds about right in a medium priced market, and a low for a high priced market. The excavation and foundation work alone can be 15-20K. Then, this isn't a separate structure. It has to be tied into an existing structure, which is more costly.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 10:01PM
mike_kaiser_gw

You need multiple bids based on a plan and specification you provide. It will be impossible to compare bids unless everyone is bidding on the same thing.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 7:29AM
Fori is not pleased

Matching the old, reusing stuff...those add quite a bit to price (but I think it's worth doing it).

You'll have to get local bids really to do a proper price check.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:36PM
drywall_diy_guy

The price is very high because of the great amount of labor involved. My father-in-law had an unattached one car garage built (with slab) for under $10,000.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:26AM
chris8796

It seems a little high, but I don't know what market your in. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we think the cost should be, but what someone is actually willing to do it for. I wouldn't pay $100 a sq/ft for increased garage space, but some market may be willing to.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:57PM
Jamie

Reporting back on second contractor's price....

Second guy would tear down and rebuild. That saves matching the brick foundation but means more materials. By tearing down he would also be eliminating a little hump at the top of the driveway where water collects.
The cost comes out about $5k less.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Sponsored Products
ClosetMaid SuiteSymphony 25 in. Shoe Shelves - 8913
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Small Cedar Storage Rack
Fifthroom.com
Canned Food Storage Rack
Overstock.com
Organized Living Nickel Adjustable Storage Shelf
Overstock.com
Mounted Garage Racks & Shelving: DuraHook Garage Storage 9 in. W with 3/4 in.
$9.99 | Home Depot
Black Bull 4.5 Inch Metal Cutting Band Saw
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™