Canadians: I'm saving some tax on assets sold this year

joyfulguyDecember 8, 2006

A company whose shares I owned was sold this year, so my shares are to be redeemed.

In the ordinary course of things, I'd deduct my original cost from the current value to calculate the capital gain, then pay tax on half of that, at regular rate.

But I'm working on a method to obtain a substantial charitable donation and pay no tax at all on it - by giving the share certificate to a charity.

See the story over on "Money Saving Tips"

I hope that you all have a great weekend.

ole joyful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Knocking this post down . . .

    Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 5:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

little bug (x 5),

Hope you didn't knock it down for the count - that it may be able to get up and fight again.

o j

    Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 2:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What's Pretirement mean?
Hi guys. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I...
Retiring to vs. Retiring from
My DH and I are struggling with upcoming retirement....
"forced" early retirement
Hi, all, new here & glad to see this forum! My...
Need your advice on our Plan
Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We do not...
Already own or buying a condo in Florida?
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™