Need help with door repair

cindiw2February 1, 2009

Here's my problem: I was trying to change a doorknob in a bathroom door and found out that the new doorknob set has a larger shank for the latchhole than the old one did. This condo was built over 25 years ago and I guess people were smaller, so the rooms, etc. are teeny-tiny, including the bathrooms and doors, entryways and hardware. I cannot enlarge the hole so far in the door because the door must be made of the type of composite that is absolutely impossible to drive a nail through. I tried a drill and wood chipping bit and it didn't even create sawdust. Not a chip or dent in the door. Nothing. Am I lost? I hope not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Home improvement stores have a $20 kit for drilling door to install latches/hardware. All you need is a 3/8" drill. The kit has cutters(hole saws) for both holes.
You need the model made for metal doors. There is a guide that is clamped on the door in the correct position----it will work on your door since the cutting part is a hole saw and only needs the guide to drill the smaller hole to the larger one.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™