asbestos siding

mrmike73February 20, 2014

we bought a house built in the 1890's, has asbestos siding, someone said they can put a fan-fold insulation over this, and then put new siding over the surface. can this be done? what is fan-fold insulation and what is r-value?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Sure it can be done, and it has an R-value of about 1 as it is 3/8" or 1/2" thick.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:08PM
klem1

Yup,it can be done but I would think twice before doing it. You will notice the siding is only held in place with very few small nails which will not support much more weight if it's glued over it. Nailing through the old siding will crack it and release asbestos dust each time it's cracked.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 2:07AM
live_wire_oak

Agree with Klem1. Best option is to remove the siding (correctly) then assess the structure before proceeding to add exterior real foam insulation and new siding. You may find all kinds of structural issues under the siding. Like the sill plate is actually rotted away and one single 2x4 is holding up the whole corner of the house. Etc. It's an 1890 house. SOMETHING will need addressing under that dreck. It always does in an old house.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 9:59AM
ionized_gw

Asbestos siding removal may be relatively simple in some areas. Where I live if a contractor removes it, certification is required. If I remove it myself, I take it off and pile it at the curb. Doing it safely is not really a big deal. You just need a little self education and a methodical approach.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™