Garage conversion -ceiling beams

old87greenOctober 9, 2012

We have a 1990s suburban home wiht attached garage, that we're now going to make into a game room. First step is to finish the walls -drywall, paint etc. WE were going to put in a ceiling too, but H believes that if we simply painted the exposed ceiling beams/studs, we'd get a nice urban look and save money along the way.

We're going to do an epoxy floor, and lots of storage cabinets - along wiht pool table, TV and sofa.

I'm having a hard time picturing the ceiling. Has anyone done anything similar or have pictures to share?

(Also posted in garage forum)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Describe the roof structure or ceiling structure if there is a room above the garage.

You will probably be required to insulate the walls and perhaps the roof or ceiling

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:54AM
virgilcarter

Congratulations on your project. You asked specificially about ceiling treatment, but there are also a host of other issues to convert an "exterior" space to a habitable one. Here's some thoughts about garage conversions:

Floor slab: Is it solid with no cracks? Is it at house finish floor level or are you OK with a step down? Is it insulated below the slab and on stem walls? Are you in a climatic zone where winter coldness is a factor for the concrete slab? If so, floating a floor on sleepers (with insulation) above the top of the slab is an option.

Walls: Will additional sealing of cracks and insulation be needed? Will new gyp board and trim be needed in some areas?

Ceiling and roof: What sort of roof structure do you have? How will you insulate and vent the roof to prevent heat loss and moisture condensation/mold? You will likely be better served to have some sort of seperation between the habitable space below and the insulation/moisture barrier above which is usually not very visually attractive (what a ceiling usually does). Although I hate the look of a suspended ceiling, it may offer one inexpensive option for a new ceiling if the existing roof joists or trusses have uneven bottoms.

Systems: How will you heat and cool the new space? Will you need to run new HVAC ducts, control wiring etc.? Will you need new electrical circuits, controls and a secondary panel? Need water and drainage?

I'm sure you have thought through all of this, so pardon me if this is redundant. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 1:13PM
renovator8

I don't really know what you are trying to do. I don't know how the garage roof is constructed or what the climate is so I'm having just as hard a time as you are.

You ask for pictures to share but you don't offer any.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™