Garage Door Opener problems

castorpFebruary 13, 2009

Hi,

I had a stripped gear in my Chamberlain garage door opener. I ordered a gear and sprocket kit and replaced them according to the instructions. The work seemed to go smoothly. But when I plugged the garage door opener back in , it made a soft "Pop!" A small puff of smoke came out. And now the garage door opener does not respond at all.

The electric outlet it's plugged into is fine. he pop and poof were immediate, and I was just testing and hadn't even yet attached the chain.

I THINK I plugged the wires into the capacitor right. I marked the red side red, the blue blue, but I admit I may have gotten the two reds mixed up, or the two blues, but I don't think I plugged a red wire into a blue or vice versa.

Anybody know where I went wrong?

Thanks.

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

There is no telling what went wrong. The capacitor wires are connected to 2 U shaped terminals. The 2 red wires go to one and the 2 blue to the other.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 3:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
castorp

The company I bought the gear and sprocket kit from just told me that I pinched a wire while screwing the motor back in and shorted out the circuit board. A new board costs around $75, which, together with the cost of the kit I just installed, is probably more than I should spend on a ten year old chamberlain opener.

Sigh.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™