Door to a Toilet Compartment - In or Out?

jmcn608October 2, 2010

Our new toilet compartment as planned is 36"x60". Should the 30" door swing in or out? Can we use a smaller door?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chisue

There has been discussion of a danger with in-swing doors. If someone faints inside the toilet room and falls near the door, you may not be able to get in to aid them without breaking down the door.

Unless the toilet room is large enough for a handicapped person to swing a wheelchair around inside it, you probably don't need a 36" door.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 5:37PM
kaysd

We rented a vacation house that had a toilet room with a swing-in door. I found it awkward to open the door, step into the small space, then try to close the door again from inside the room without hitting myself with the door. Of course, that toilet enclosure was just way too small anyway -- my knees were uncomfortably close to the wall in front of the toilet.

Personally, my first choice would be a pocket door, followed by a door that swings out.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 5:13PM
aok27502

We have a water closet in our master that is about 3' x 5'. It has a normal (30"?) interior door that swings out. Swinging in would be quite awkward.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 5:38PM
newyorking

For all my doors, GC recommended inside for bathrooms because you don't want to open the door outwards and slam into someone's face. However, it looks like your toilet compartment is small, and it maybe uncomfortable to have it open inside. Can you do one that swings both ways? In any case, if the toilet is inside your bathroom or in an area where you will not have a lot of traffic, chances of slamming the door into someone are low.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
Renovate (which plan?) or sell
We are trying to make a decision about renovating our...
kercove
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Moving window vertically
Hello - we are purchasing a house and trying to think...
bethanympuku
Sponsored Products
DreamLine AquaFold 36-inch Frameless Hinged Tub Door
Overstock.com
Nappula Candelabra by Iittala
$295.00 | Lumens
Hudson Valley Carson 10" High Aged Zinc Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Pots and Pans Storage
CliqStudios Cabinets
Hatteras Extra Large Black Outdoor Wall Mounted Lantern
$250.20 | Bellacor