Egress Window Problems

jjcpianoFebruary 15, 2009

Hi, I recently bought a house that is about 5 year's old. It has an Egress window that appears to have been leaking for at least a couple of years. At the base of the egress window area there is a drain that seems to back up, as well as water seems to be coming up from the ground. The drain actually backs up into the area. Without knowing more about the draining system, is it feasible to run a pipe from the drain out into the yard at a distance where the yard is below the drainage level. That way any ground swell water can simply drain into that. It is odd that water actually comes from the pipe into the egress area Vs simply overflowwing and backing up. Thanks for any insight

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

Sure, adding a drain to a lower level should help if the elevations are correct and the pipe is large enough.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 6:16PM
pjb999

There should already be a pipe running away to a lower level and dissipating the water into the yard; if you have water feeding in there, it's probably connected to a drain at a higher point in the yard, and running down to the window.

Not a good situation, one that needs to be addressed.

You may need to consult an expert, unless you see yourself digging the current drains up and inspecting them.

I suspect what has happened is the existing system is blocked with silt or tree roots, or both.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 10:38AM
pjb999

Just thought of another point, where do your eavestrough/gutters drain to? If the water just pours onto the ground, it's probably contributing to that.

A kind of half baked approach might be in the meantime to put a sump pump there, since you're risking or may already have all sorts of damage because of this.

I have been thinking of putting such a window in like this, I am in a dry area I guess one of those plastic covers for the lightwell wouldn't help, since

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™